Potential Changes to the Waiver Draft Procedure

This forum is for general postings related to the Cornwall Fantasy Hockey League.

Potential Changes to the Waiver Draft Procedure

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 1:22 pm

This morning, I received the following from the Frankfurters...

Hi Chris: a few thoughts on how the draft progresses each month. Would it be feasible to hold the waiver in a similar format to the entry draft. If all the drops had to be in by Monday at 6;30 or some other designated day and time, this would then allow a specific day and time for the waiver. If the waiver was held at 7:30 on Wednesday or Thursday it could be completed within one hour and if a manager is not available someone else could be designated to pick. Similarly if a manager is not available or designate someone after ten minutes this pick would go to last in list and we could proceed to the next manager.
This may not be the ultimate process but I sense an increasing level of frustration with the waiver draft as it is.
Just my thoughts, I normally have loads of time being retired so I am trying to help some others.
Chris_Savard

Re: Potential Changes to the Waiver Draft Procedure

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 1:24 pm

Thanks Frank...I will post this in the forum to get the rest of the GM's for their thoughts. I will send out an email.

I am not opposed to picking a night during the week and banging it out in an hour - the only thing is that I would not likely have time each month to build the draft page like I do at the beginning of the season. That is time consuming for it to auto-update the db. It is a necessary evil for the Entry draft and thus the need to invest the time and effort. We could potentially pick a time and meet in the chat room and make picks. I could write them down and update the teams after we are done.

With respect to the current system - the GM's have been really helpful to nudge the next guy if I get busy and am not available. The only challenge is when we hit someone who is unavailable for extended periods. Perhaps the remedy here is to give a time limit and then we move on to the next team. Perhaps 3 hours is the right time limit then move on to the next team.

As I see it, I think in both cases we should pick a firm drop date of 7:00 pm on the Monday of the last week of the month. If a GM doesn't drop, then they can drop and pick at the end of the draft.

Two Options for GM's to consider:

OPTION #1 - Firm Drop date of 7:00pm on the Monday of the last week of the month. All GM's meet in chatroom at a predetermined time to conduct draft. If a GM can't make, they should give their pick to another GM or they can draft at the very end.

OPTION #2 - Firm Drop date of 7:00pm on the Monday of the last week of the month. Continue with the current format on the Forum, however institute a 3 hour time limit. If a team goes over their time limit, the next team will be allowed to pick and then the draft will return to the skipped team.

I would ask that each GM post their thoughts and votes below. If we can build a consensus, then we can move forward with the change for the November waiver.
Chris_Savard

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 1:31 pm

I wear two hats in this discussion.

As the statistician, I am open to either option as long as it does not end up becoming labour intensive for me.

As the GM of the Bulldogs, I prefer option #2. The other GM's have become helpful to "police" the draft and nudge the next guy. With the 24 of us agreeing to be quicker with our picks and the implementation of a time limit, I think we have fixed it.

Just my two cents. Bulldogs vote for Option #2.

(Statistician will respect the will of the majority - either is fine with me)
Chris_Savard

Postby Mark Des Cotes on November 2nd, 2015, 1:52 pm

Is this something we're thinking of implementing now or just next year? I thought we couldn't make changes to the system once the season started?

Either way, Marksmen vote for option #2
Mark Des Cotes

Postby Todd_Hanson on November 2nd, 2015, 1:58 pm

The Penguins vote for option # 2 . This makes the most sense for me . I think Chris has enough on his plate already . This option will speed up the process .
Todd_Hanson

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 1:59 pm

Mark Des Cotes wrote:Is this something we're thinking of implementing now or just next year? I thought we couldn't make changes to the system once the season started?

I think it would be wrong to change game play rules mid-season, however this is more procedural in nature and as such I think if there is consensus then we could move forward with the change for the November waiver.
Chris_Savard

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 2:00 pm

Todd_Hanson wrote: I think Chris has enough on his plate already . This option will speed up the process .

Thanks Todd, but either option can work for me (as the Statistician)
Chris_Savard

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 2:05 pm

Just thinking that the 3 hour time limit should apply through the night. If Team A picks at midnight, then Team B shouldn't be penalized if they don't pick by 3:00 am.

I would then propose amendment - a three hour time limit between the hours of 7:00 am and 11:00 pm EST.
Chris_Savard

Postby Chris_Savard on November 2nd, 2015, 2:50 pm

From the BEAST...

Okay guess that is why I only use the forum at home. It says I am logged in then kicks me out.
I would vote for Option 2
Chris_Savard

Postby Dean Eastman on November 2nd, 2015, 3:15 pm

My vote is for Option 1 with a proviso to hold the hour-long waiver draft after 9pm (being selfish as i am, this time gives me time to think once my two sons are asleep in bed :)).

i prefer to have this draft over and done with asap instead of having many of us to police the next-in-line process.

cheers,
dean
ice
Dean Eastman

Next

Return to CFHL General Discussion