My battle with cancer...

This forum is for ALL general hockey talk and GMs from all pools are encouraged to post general hockey thoughts and discussions here.

My battle with cancer...

Postby Dean Eastman on January 23rd, 2012, 1:49 pm

Hello to everyone in both the MFHL and CFHL,

I hope I am not being offside in sending out this request to each of you. I am trying to contact everyone that I know and that knows of me. For those of you unaware, I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer last August and have gone through two surgeries since last October.

The good news is (following this afternoon's post-op appointment with my surgeon in Toronto), I should soon be putting this cancer battle behind me.

Each one of us have been affected by cancer whether it be personally or to a loved one. In saying so, I have taken on a new challenge and have entered the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer on June 9 and 10. I will attempt to ride a bicycle 200+km from Toronto to Niagara Falls.

In order to be allowed to take part in the ride, I first must raise a minimum of $3,200.00 to do so. Now for those of you who are already connected with me via facebook, you've already been notified and I apologize that you're getting yet another email on this topic. Nobody likes asking for monetary donations, but your donation is going to a very worthwhile cause and personally, my wife and I will be donating towards the Ride as well.

Since being off work since last October due to my two surgeries, I have gained some unnecessary weight and like Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, my official weigh in this morning was 257 lbs. In order for me to even consider riding in this event, I need to drop at least 20 lbs in addition to taking on a rigorous training program so I can survive this treacherous bike ride to Niagara Falls.

I am hoping Dan (The Ogres) can assist me in shedding the pounds as well as getting stronger to get enough stamina to bike my butt off :).

If you want more information on the ride and my motivation behind raising funds for the ride, check out this link here: http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/deaneastman

Via this link, you can electronically donate to my cause, either personally or corporate-wise. For those of you willing to give a sponsorship, I am riding with a team of 11 other riders and our jerseys would have your business logo on it for thousands of others to see. For more information on this, please send me an email at dean.eastman@gmail.com.

Thanks again everyone and I hope I haven't abused my privileges at http://www.cornwallfantasyhockey.com.

Regards,
Dean
Dean Eastman

Return to Hot Stove Fantasy Forum