Patrick Kane signs mid-week on an active roster

This forum is for general postings related to the Dynasty Fantasy Hockey League.

Patrick Kane signs mid-week on an active roster

Postby Richard_Tardiff on December 1st, 2023, 1:33 pm

Hello everyone,

We have run into an unforeseen effect of how the DFHL code works. Ice Dragons are over the Major team cap because of Patrick Kane being dressed for the Major team and signing this week for $2.75M. It also affects the cap count for W1 in that Kane was also dressed in that week. Without boring you with how the code works in detail, the count was dynamic and recalculated each time the page was loaded. By his salary changing in-season it changed W1 cap count for Ice Dragons and that shows as exceeding the cap for that week but he was cap compliant.

We have a solution but implementing it might take a bit of time. Chris is working on it today so it could be quick or take a few weeks, this is not a minor change to make. I wanted to mention it in case someone noticed it and then suddenly it's changed...this is why.

What this means: Ice Dragons salary cap number will be counted by my spreadsheet until we fix the website code. For W9 they have $83.965445M. I use that spreadsheet to audit the site to make sure it's calculating things right. I have attached it for anyone that wants to confirm things for themselves. Just drop the submitted lineup cap number in the yellow box for that week in column B, in orange is the next week's cap number.

As for the Ice Dragons lineup for this week...The lineup was compliant as submitted Monday night so Kane remains in the lineup. According to the constitution Chris would have 7 days to remedy the situation if he exceeded the total cap, but he didn't as he has cap space so that doesn't apply. On Monday Chris will have to adapt his roster with Kane now at $2.75M and it will be cap compliant. No rules have been broken so I can't see any other ruling being correct.

Others may have issue with this so I have opened a Forum topic for discussions. I will post his cap number in this topic each week until it is fixed.

To disallow or have a player removed from a roster mid-week would require a rule change but something to consider when trying to formulate a rule is what if you can't dress another player in that position mid-week? Earlier this year Wolfpack wanted to cut a player but they had no other player to fill the position on the roster so they couldn't make that cut. Once submitted I won't touch an active roster and just live with any odd effects that sometimes happen. Which led to my current ruling.

This will happen again but I don't see it as a problem. Once players sign a new contract they typically practice a few weeks before they play. Could Kane play this weekend and score? Sure. Will it make a difference? Perhaps but not enough to concern me.

Feel free to chime in with comments...

Rick
Richard_Tardiff

Re: Patrick Kane signs mid-week on an active roster

Postby Mark Des Cotes on December 1st, 2023, 2:58 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Chris was cap-compliant when he submitted his roster this week. That's good enough for me. As long as he adjusts his roster to remain compliant next week, all is good in my books.
Mark Des Cotes

Re: Patrick Kane signs mid-week on an active roster

Postby Dan_Hebert on December 1st, 2023, 5:59 pm

Mark Des Cotes wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Chris was cap-compliant when he submitted his roster this week. That's good enough for me. As long as he adjusts his roster to remain compliant next week, all is good in my books.

what he said.....
Dan_Hebert

Return to DFHL General Discussion