Review of how things went in DFHL

This forum is for general postings related to the Dynasty Fantasy Hockey League.

Review of how things went in DFHL

Postby Richard_Tardiff on October 15th, 2023, 2:58 pm

Fellow GMs,

This Forum Topic is to discuss what went well, what didn’t and what we’ll do for next summer. This isn’t anything to vote on just yet, it’s to discuss what we should do. As such, I’ll start with my comments and others can chime in as they wish to add their own comments or suggestions.

Off season Waivers: Having players on waivers during the draft was not popular. There were comments that players on waivers should be available to draft and others that said they should not. For me, the solution is simple: next summer we will clear all players off waivers before we start the draft.

In season Waivers: Last year I processed cuts like trades so everyone knew who was dropped but that was a lot of work for nothing. This year I will send an email of the players on Waivers on Friday.

Cap compliance: This is kinda linked to waivers but I had comments that there were too many players on waivers during the draft because they were cut after the first pick as I asked. I said above that we should clear players off waivers before the draft but I also think we should make our cuts for cap compliance before the draft.

Next summer this is how I propose things run:

End of Regular season, the cap no longer applies.
Waivers closing dates around the end of July and again just before the draft in mid-September.
All GMs will cut players off their teams to be cap compliant BEFORE we start the draft. Cap compliance to the end of the Regular season.

Those are the issues I’m aware of. Feel free to discuss those suggestions and add any others you feel should be addressed.

Rick
Richard_Tardiff

Re: Review of how things went in DFHL

Postby Site_Admin on October 20th, 2023, 9:36 am

There are pros and cons to this. I liked being able to drop as I picked - because I wasn't sure if I would use all my picks. but, I didn't like not having access to the players on waivers in the draft.

I think Rick makes good suggestions to fix this. Ice Dragons support the recommendation.
Site_Admin

Postby Mark Des Cotes on October 23rd, 2023, 10:52 am

Wyverns are for these changes, with one clarification. Can we still drop players during the draft for roster/cap compliance? And what happens to players dropped during the draft? Do they become available to draft?
Mark Des Cotes

Postby Richard_Tardiff on October 25th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Mark Des Cotes wrote:Wyverns are for these changes, with one clarification. Can we still drop players during the draft for roster/cap compliance? And what happens to players dropped during the draft? Do they become available to draft?

Yes players will still be dropped as we draft. The intent is that we would cut in advance of the draft to be cap compliant but not so much as to have space to add new players without any cuts.

A good comparison would be to say that the Entry draft would run similar to our waiver drafts in that we start cap compliant, draft and cut players as needed to remain compliant with all cut players available on Waivers at the end of the draft.
Richard_Tardiff

Postby Richard_Tardiff on December 1st, 2023, 3:33 pm

Make a comment about players signed in-season based on the outcome of the discussion about Patrick Kane signed while on an active roster.
Richard_Tardiff

Return to DFHL General Discussion